Raymond Robinson Cause of Death: The Tragic Story of the Green Man

Raymond Robinson was a man who became a legend in western Pennsylvania, but not for the reasons he would have wanted. He was known as the Green Man or Charlie No-Face, a disfigured figure who wandered the roads at night, scaring or intriguing those who encountered him. But behind the urban myth was a real person who suffered a terrible accident and lived a secluded life. Here is his story and how he died.

The Childhood Accident That Changed His Life

Raymond Robinson was born on October 29, 1910, in Beaver County, Pennsylvania. He had a normal childhood until he was eight years old, when he made a fatal mistake that altered his fate. On June 18, 1919, he climbed an electric pole to reach for a bird’s nest on the Morado Bridge, outside of Beaver Falls. The bridge carried a trolley and had electrical lines of both 1,200 and 22,000 volts, which were responsible for the death of another boy less than a year earlier .

Raymond was instantly electrocuted but miraculously survived the accident. Unfortunately, he was severely disfigured in the process and lost both his eyes, nose and an arm. He also suffered extensive burns on his face and body, leaving holes where his features once were . Doctors did not expect him to live, but he defied their predictions and recovered from his injuries .

The Lonely Life of Raymond Robinson

Raymond Robinson lived with his family in Koppel, Pennsylvania, and spent his days at home making doormats, wallets and belts to sell. He rarely ventured out in public because of his appearance, which caused fear and panic among those who saw him. He was also subjected to cruel taunts and insults from some people who mocked his condition.

However, Raymond had a passion for walking and enjoying nature. He could not do that during the day, so he went for long walks at night on a quiet stretch of State Route 351, feeling his way along with a walking stick. He avoided populated areas and tried to hide from anyone who approached him  .

But his nocturnal outings did not go unnoticed. Local teenagers and curious tourists started to look for him on the road, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Green Man or Charlie No-Face. These were the nicknames that were given to him by the locals, who created stories and legends about him. Some said he glowed green because of the electrical shock he suffered, others said he haunted an abandoned house or roamed the woods looking for victims .

Some of these seekers were friendly and respectful to Raymond, offering him beer or cigarettes in exchange for a conversation or a photograph. Others were rude or violent, throwing rocks or bottles at him or trying to run him over with their cars. Raymond endured these encounters with patience and dignity, never retaliating or complaining .

The Death of Raymond Robinson

Raymond Robinson continued his nightly walks until the late 1970s or early 1980s, when he stopped due to old age and poor health. He retired to the Beaver County Geriatric Center, where he died on June 11, 1985, at the age of 74 . He was buried in Grandview Cemetery in Beaver Falls .

Raymond Robinson’s story is a tragic one, but also one of resilience and courage. He faced unimaginable hardships and challenges in his life, but he never gave up or lost hope. He found joy in simple things like walking and listening to nature. He also made some friends along the way who appreciated him for who he was.

Raymond Robinson may have been known as the Green Man or Charlie No-Face by many people, but he was much more than that. He was a human being who deserved respect and compassion. His legacy lives on in the memories of those who knew him and in the folklore of western Pennsylvania.

Doms Desk

Leave a Comment